KVS 5.5.0 development

Tech Support

Summary of results from feature poll  

1. 1. The most wanted features for 5.5.0

• User notification system, ability for users to get notifications about some events (new comments for their videos for example)
    • Ability to reply comments (e.g. hierarchical comments)
    • User achievements, badges (for example after posting XX comments, or uploading XX videos)
    • Support for user groups and privileges (for example configure that users from group A are not allowed to comment, or rate, or download and etc)
    • Video subtitles support
    • Content sheduler (ability to specify how many new content you want to publish each day and KVS will follow these settings)
    • Support of S3 protocol in storage servers (should allow using Amazon S3 for content storage and streaming)
    • Better custom fields (ability to specify their type, required, value range)
    • Grouping of video timeline screenshots into a single sprite image (should result in faster timeline loading) + optional timeline sources (should save disk space)
    • Support for WebP in albums
    • Ability to disallow individual videos for certain countries
    • Ability to use Google translate service (paid) to create localized titles / descriptions for content and categorization
    • Better synonymizer plugin that will support complex expressions
    • Support for importing / exporting feeds for albums same as for videos
    • Ability to import / export categorization objects

This poll is closed to new votes

We added some enhancements in player branding and blind advertising.

In branding, it will now be possible to connect logo text to video content source title field (previously was only possible to connect to content source custom fields), and it will also be possible to connect controlbar text to content source as well (previously was only possible to specify global text):

player_settings_branding.thumb.png.685f398ec7a080b04670c185f1b50000.png

In blind advertising we added ability to connect video click and popunder advertising to Advertising profiles (previously known as VAST profiles). Ability to connect these types of player advertising to advertising profiles will provide a great value for those that want to design their own popunder logic. It will be possible to show different popunders for different devices, for traffic from different sources, on different categories, and etc - all advanced features of advertising profiles, that were previously enabled for VAST only, will now be also available for popunder and video click ads:

player_settings_blind.thumb.png.651e0b41f7a91aab7f044414f5745c57.png

9 hours ago, Tech Support said:

The only possible solution is to use satellite installed to some subdomain (e.g. s1.domain.com) and configured to have site on primary domain (domain.com). So that you will have 2 installations: (1) installed on server 1 and domain.com, (2) installed on server 2 and s1.domain.com, but configured to have alias for domain.com to be used in DNS load balancing.

It will anyway require satellite in the future, due to the following 2 reasons:

1. KVS license agreement officially allows using only 1 installation. Installing multiple KVS copies on different server (or even the same server) is violation of KVS license and is not allowed. Satellite is another license, so you can install as many satellites as you want because every satellite is another license.
  2. KVS support team and yourself will need to login to admin panel to check for issues, do administration and etc. Therefore each of the cluster installations should have a separate admin panel accessible at any time without affecting local DNS, so it should also be accessible via subdomain.

So we think that satellite approach will be used in future as well, as this is the most convenient approach to install and manage cluster installations from our point of view. However the main issue with satellite approach now is that it will double database load due to dividing caching into 2 or more parts. This is something that we don't have any workaround now and thus will need to change KVS architecture to also support using individual databases for satellites and primary installation. Once this will be possible, it will allow unlimited horizontal scalability.

You can use satellite now, but as we said if your database is already overloaded, satellite will make it event worse.

Most of load is on my database.

I am very disappointed at KVS. There is a hard limit on how big your website can get because KVS is not designed for handling large traffic. I see hundreds of non-essential features in KVS being developed or upgrade (which is great) but this issue should be priority number 1 and it looks like it doesnt look emergency to you, because probably only less than 1% of your customers hit this limit. Mechbunny doesnt have 10% of KVS features but they have figured it out long time ago how to load balance everything.

12 hours ago, longsack said:

It would be nice to have the ability to create "posters" for the background thumb for the video player for each video.  probably too late for this update.

Not sure what you mean by this. KVS creates posters for video player already. And we even changed in this version that posters will be created in WebP format.

9 hours ago, leonrak said:

I am very disappointed at KVS. There is a hard limit on how big your website can get because KVS is not designed for handling large traffic. I see hundreds of non-essential features in KVS being developed or upgrade (which is great) but this issue should be priority number 1 and it looks like it doesnt look emergency to you, because probably only less than 1% of your customers hit this limit. Mechbunny doesnt have 10% of KVS features but they have figured it out long time ago how to load balance everything.

KVS can handle huge traffic, there are projects on KVS running 10-20M summary hits daily. Traffic doesn't affect database in any way due to caching. If you have big traffic and database problems, your caching strategy is not very good and can be adjusted to fix the load.

The main issue is with huge databases, like 200+k videos. This can't be cached efficiently and needs another approach. Obviously only few projects hit this level of content and gradually start experiencing performance issues due to that. We don't have any easy way to resolve this, we need to fully rewrite KVS architecture for this and we started doing this already.

In previous update we have added ability to truncate video duration via mass edit. In the current update we also extended this functionality and added support to also truncate videos from start and / or end:

mass_edit_duration_truncate.thumb.png.4112c312dc66789cca32986833aed267.png

In addition to that we did a major optimization of how multiple video files are re-created for the same video. Previously re-creating multiple files submitted a separate background task for each video file, now KVS will submit a single task for each video to re-create multiple formats if needed:

format_recreation_task.png.41479f3b2b6b94b426df030707552c3f.png

This will also provide optimization for semi-processing feature, when for new videos KVS is configured to create only required formats first, and then submits separate tasks to create other formats.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, Tech Support said:

It will be possible to show different popunders for different devices, for traffic from different sources

Thank you so much for this.
little clarification, does it mean we can now set to show more ads from people who visit our site from a specific referrer?

On 7/16/2021 at 2:36 PM, leonrak said:

Most of load is on my database.

We changed the table structure to InnoDB and moved the database to a dedicated server. We are seeing less than 20% cpu load with old average of about 3-4. We have about 2.5 million uniques per day and 450K videos.

for load balancing you could always setup an SQL cluster and I’m pretty sure you could easily setup a rule based load balancing using last digit of the video ID to determine which front end server handles the request to avoid duplicating your cache.

How much traffic are you pushing with how many videos ? 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 8:51 PM, MBP said:

We changed the table structure to InnoDB and moved the database to a dedicated server. We are seeing less than 20% cpu load with old average of about 3-4. We have about 2.5 million uniques per day and 450K videos.

for load balancing you could always setup an SQL cluster and I’m pretty sure you could easily setup a rule based load balancing using last digit of the video ID to determine which front end server handles the request to avoid duplicating your cache.

How much traffic are you pushing with how many videos ? 

Its

40K videos

20K albums ( around 11 millions images )

I am getting about 200-250K visitors each day

• 3 weeks later...

Did the #1 voted feature get implemented? I am migrating some code over before upgrading KVS, and I wanted to make sure there's no conflict with my feature. I didn't notice any code implementing this.

• User notification system, ability for users to get notifications about some events (new comments for their videos for example)
  • Ability to reply comments (e.g. hierarchical comments)

• 1 month later...

Will this be implemented? Would be a great feature! Is there any other way for users to be notified right now?

Edited by s69

Yes, we will be working on this feature. The reason why it takes so long is that we decided to start rolling out nextgen architecture and we decided that all new features will be implemented using nextgen code. This will take some longer, because we need to design and test the core architecture code itself.

Right now KVS doesn't have notification functionality at all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...