KVS 6 Nextgen Admin preview

Tech Support

Great news!

Finally we have built up everything together and can share our Nextgen Admin panel GUI to collect your feedback. Meanwhile we still need some time to adjust all admin panel functionality, the 90% of work is accomplished.

Please take some time to play with the new functionality and let us know if you have something in your mind that needs to be enhanced. To see the demo version of the Videos grid and editor please login to KVS demo admin panel and click Nextgen item in the main menu:

https://kvs-demo.com/admin/

Here is summary on the main changes and features. We also plan to introduce the dark skin when the main is finalized.

General GUI

The whole project was started with the new admin panel design that will also look nicely on mobile devices. There are new colors, icons and same control look and feel across different browsers:

desktop.thumb.png.e21de8d89b49fc28c67c734db923bb01.png

tablet.thumb.png.f86eea2715313cf6a549c4aae5e7f84c.pngphone.thumb.png.2b522d805eb5267ede80d9b7c6c387ab.png

The old admin panel supported editors as popups, but in the new version we didn't yet manage to support this, so for the time being this feature will not be available. In future we will most likely return it.

We finally introduced calendar controls:

calendar.png.1010c28f8d8aebdcf711d8f265d0ef3b.png

Selector controls now support displaying details of the selected items:

insights.png.cfef43908e6f668e5f004a4ddb48f3f2.png

All editor sections are not collapsible with "memory" function:

editor_sections.png.b5c8a76c5b94754a8bcc4be24a842e4b.png

List selector controls provide ability to skip filter when displaying filtered results:

insight_lists.png.2dd94a69246a7a60be4d2e0a480020af.png

Popups now support move and resize actions with "memory" function. All popups are classified on different types and can be positioned differently, e.g. upload popup, list selector popup, preview popup and etc:

popups.thumb.png.6b700f2ed1fe1bdf99d395fb79807fd1.png

Instead of using browser built-in confirmation dialogs KVS will now show its own (with resize and reposition memory option) and destructive actions highlight:

non_destructive_dialog.png.9bc7aedd570746ea1b84dd29ff3626b4.png

destructive_dialog.png.fb19d012d50cb7c83c10a47830df3c50.png

Both grids and editors now have bottom bar fixed independent on scrolling, so the bottom actions are always available without the need to scroll down:

editor_bottom.png.516562dde56744351039cf72484113bf.png

Grid enhancements

Here are main grid changes highlighted:

• Grid named presets are now supported. You can create as much presets as you want, with given filters, columns and sorting. Quickly switch between different grid views for different tasks.
  • At any time it will be possible to reset to the default grid view by choosing Default preset.
  • Grid will now display only the currently active filters. Each filter can be easily changed / removed without any additional actions.
  • Grid customize popup will support Ctrl+S combination for quick submit.
  • The number of items per page can be quickly switched between multiple predefined numbers.
  • Grid item selectors will summarize the whole number of selected items at the top.
  • Destructive actions are highlighted in grid menu.
  • Each grid link will now produce its own menu with ability to open editor of the clicked object, or add it to the filter, or replace the current filter with filtering by this object.

grid.thumb.png.90ea9df75e4f64008ec6b0c75f7deb8c.png

grid_link_menu.thumb.png.e8d511d0807d2ef0176e67d5cbe7a467.png

Template editors

In template editors we added support for syntax highlight and some advanced editing capabilities:

• Smarty syntax highlight is fully supported (e.g. keywords, strings, variables, modifiers, numbers)
  • HTML tags have basic highlight (only tag names are highlighted)
  • Lines numbers are displayed on the side gutter
  • Smarty block match is highlighted: when you put cursor on the starting or ending tag KVS will highlight the whole block for clear view.
  • Most common smarty syntax errors are highlighted, like missing of closing tag.

syntax_highlight.thumb.png.dcd270849e6956628f79ef9a2f525d50.png

Another important change in this area is new bottom toolbar that has Quick save button, Fullscreen editing button, and buttons that allow you quickly insert common Smarty fragments ({{if}}, {{if}} - {{else}}, {{foreach}}, {{$variable}} and etc.) and KVS functions (block display, page component include, advertising spot and other).

Quick save button is designed to quickly save template changes without saving the whole editor and refreshing the page. This is highly desired when you edit specific template part and may need many iterations of changes to get the needed result. Fullscreen option will expand editor to the whole browser tab size, and at the same time will allow using Ctrl+S combination for Quick save action (instead of regular editor save action). So template editing now will become much more convenient, very similar to your local editor.

template_editor_toolbar.thumb.png.0673b8e34dfd490fca274a24dea5d0aa.png

Template editing will now fully support tabulation and block movement using Tab and Shift-Tab combinations:

template_editor_block_moving.png.0dd7901f2afce7d6a2c830d800b18f23.png

16 minutes ago, Emilia said:

So far so good, will have more time to play in a few days and test things out properly.

Grid edit is still not an option in this?

Unfortunately it is not possible to put grid editing without huge backend rewriting. This is still not in the nearest version.

1 hour ago, Tech Support said:

The whole project was started with the new admin panel design that will also look nicely on mobile devices. There are new colors, icons and same control look and feel across different browsers:

desktop.thumb.png.e21de8d89b49fc28c67c734db923bb01.png

Hello,

Thank you for posting updates,

for me colors don't looks better, because Its not full Black/White or not full White/Black design. 

like todays website design Dark skin and White Skin,

Also I still can't see KVS-6 on demo site.

2 hours ago, xvids said:

It is available from the menu:

Screenshot(2).thumb.png.2ab02fdbbd653c15bc727ae524330b4e.png

2 hours ago, xvids said:

I'm not sure I get this point, but we will have Dark skin planned. But still the design cannot be black and white, we still need some dominant color and some notification (red) color and some success (green) color.

1 hour ago, Hc Tipellirg said:

But need more time to provide you a feedback.

Sure, we don't have any rush here, we still need to adopt all areas to the new design, this will take some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Its also missing a Plugin for Channels & Content Source that automatically select "Channels & Content Source" based on the title, description and tags fields.

1. automatically select Channels For Videos

2. automatically select Content Source For Albums

Thank you! 💗

On 6/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, xvids said:

Its also missing a Plugin for Channels & Content Source that automatically select "Channels & Content Source" based on the title, description and tags fields.

Yes, but this is not connected to admin panel GUI. We will put this into our future plans.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 7:33 AM, xvids said:

Hello,

Thank you for posting updates,

for me colors don't looks better, because Its not full Black/White or not full White/Black design. 

I dont like the color match too, Its hard to read.
Backend doesnt need to be beautiful, It needs to be efficent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys have any timeframe on when to add sort of scaling options? For instance:

I cant use Galera type cluster because myisam is in use. Do you guys have any plans to move it to innodb? Kinda confused why Myisam was chosen as a design choice. 

I cant use any form of loadbalancing because that would be against the license agreement.

I am kinda struggling to scale the website I have because the SQL server is struggling to keep up. There is no scaling to be done here.

11 hours ago, hbarnetworks said:

Do you guys have any timeframe on when to add sort of scaling options?

Unfortunately not, we never can have the timeframe due to high amount of support we do. The database scaling as we see it is still a long way, it will require full frontend code rewritten to the nextgen API. For now we only have a fracture of API and rewritten few blocks, 9 out of 59. When we finish the admin panel, we will return back to API and blocks refactoring. I hope this will get faster, as the API is partially ready. Initially we were planning to have this done till the end of last year, but then management decided we should push to the new admin panel GUI, and this took much longer than it was initially expected.

Do you guys have any plans to move it to innodb? Kinda confused why Myisam was chosen as a design choice. 

For now we don't have any plans to move to InnoDB. The MyISAM in 2008 was considered as higher performance than InnoDB (because InnoDB has overhead for transaction handling and isolation levels), and also InnoDB in 2008 didn't support full text indexing. Even now many customers still have MySQL 5.5 and InnoDB started supporting Full text search starting with 5.6. So the dilemma is, if we want to move to InnoDB we will have to require MySQL update for many of the customers, and to be honest for now we don't see any benefit from this.

Moreover, if you want to move to InnoDB you can do that yourself, there is nothing in KVS that prevent you from doing this. The only issue is that any new tables we add with new versions will still be added as MyISAM and you will have to do database update manually and to make sure all new tables are changed to InnoDB. I think some customers are doing like this, some customers switched to InnoDB already.

I cant use any form of loadbalancing because that would be against the license agreement.

Do you mean database load balancing or front end load balancing? KVS doesn't support database load balancing officially due to technical reasons, not due to licensing.

For the frontend load balancing KVS supports load balancing by using satellites. However this increases database load and if your database is big, there is a problem with database overload.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tech Support said:

Unfortunately not, we never can have the timeframe due to high amount of support we do. The database scaling as we see it is still a long way, it will require full frontend code rewritten to the nextgen API. For now we only have a fracture of API and rewritten few blocks, 9 out of 59. When we finish the admin panel, we will return back to API and blocks refactoring. I hope this will get faster, as the API is partially ready. Initially we were planning to have this done till the end of last year, but then management decided we should push to the new admin panel GUI, and this took much longer than it was initially expected.

For now we don't have any plans to move to InnoDB. The MyISAM in 2008 was considered as higher performance than InnoDB (because InnoDB has overhead for transaction handling and isolation levels), and also InnoDB in 2008 didn't support full text indexing. Even now many customers still have MySQL 5.5 and InnoDB started supporting Full text search starting with 5.6. So the dilemma is, if we want to move to InnoDB we will have to require MySQL update for many of the customers, and to be honest for now we don't see any benefit from this.

Moreover, if you want to move to InnoDB you can do that yourself, there is nothing in KVS that prevent you from doing this. The only issue is that any new tables we add with new versions will still be added as MyISAM and you will have to do database update manually and to make sure all new tables are changed to InnoDB. I think some customers are doing like this, some customers switched to InnoDB already.

Do you mean database load balancing or front end load balancing? KVS doesn't support database load balancing officially due to technical reasons, not due to licensing.

For the frontend load balancing KVS supports load balancing by using satellites. However this increases database load and if your database is big, there is a problem with database overload.

Oright I will do some tests with Innodb and clustering it so see if I can get it to work. 

I did mean front-end loadbalancing but if its possible with satellites then I will give that a shot. 

Thanks for the answer

For anyone wondering. Changing the engine of the database to InnoDB still seems that everything works nothing is broken. It has reduced the overall CPU usage from 80% overall to 10% spreading it over 3 servers using galera and using proxySQL to loadbalance between these 3 servers. So far this has speed up the website 5x 

Before I did 900 queries a second now It pulls over 3000 using a stress test. And thats not close to its limits. If anyone is interested in how I did this let me know.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2022 at 2:37 PM, hbarnetworks said:

For anyone wondering. Changing the engine of the database to InnoDB still seems that everything works nothing is broken. It has reduced the overall CPU usage from 80% overall to 10% spreading it over 3 servers using galera and using proxySQL to loadbalance between these 3 servers. So far this has speed up the website 5x 

Before I did 900 queries a second now It pulls over 3000 using a stress test. And thats not close to its limits. If anyone is interested in how I did this let me know.

Hello,

I interested, please tell me

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, xvids said:

forget to submit this feedback. this required when receive report URLs from satellite

I see what you mean, but this should be replaced with normal emailing feature. Email headers will not be required anymore, they will be auto-populated based on settings. But hard to tell when this feature will find its way into version.