KVS 5.0 implementation (was 4.1)

Tech Support

In video grabbers we added support for channel field, which will have the same value as content source. So all grabbers that supported content sources will now automatically support channels.

In KVS channels and content sources are separate objects, so some webmasters may need to import them as content sources, other webmasters as channels. Now you will be able to configure both scenarios.

Another planned thing that was finally closed today is migration of all video grabbers to youtube-dl API. Only few grabbers that are not supported by youtube-dl were left implemented on KVS API.

All grabbers should be updated automatically, you don't need to do anything for it. However you may need to review their settings, because of these benefits:

- These grabbers may download video files much faster by using aria2 multi-threaded downloader.

- For many of the updated grabbers we also added support for channel / content source data field.

Finally a small new feature was added in grabber settings, if you take content source / channel info from grabber you can now also configure that new content sources / channels are not created automatically, so that the grabber content will only use your existing content sources / channels. Similar options existed before for models and categories, now they are fully complete:

grabbers_categorization_options.thumb.png.cd20fc9e9b8eca6246c738ee3ec016b6.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Emailing we added support for additional option that will allow you export emails into a text file instead of sending emails via KVS mailing function.

Thus you will be able to use 3rd-party emailing solution for sending newsletters and promo emails to your users.

emailing_export_option.thumb.png.b20e2de64ed8ce3ab84ebe1c470954f7.png

It would be great to be able to upload multiple videos and to become 1 single

What about existing content?

Combine existing. User uploaded a series of short clips. Now they all have comments and ratings etc.

Concat with ffmpeg (specify ordering) and collapse all stats,comments,ratings etc into one entry.

We get a lot of series. 3-6 uploads called part1,part2...

That has been going on for years.

It is tedious to watch them separately, and some are very short.

At upload time, say "this is part of a series" so it does not get processed immediately.

But the grunt work of combining is done later on demand (ad hoc) and works for new uploads or existing content.

User can do it, not just an admin function.

Pause upload video

In some cases it is necessary to suspend video uploads

(Server upgrades, site migrations, etc.......)

The upload video page should explain why the upload was suspended

We get a number of failed uploads for guys who have 2Gb files.

Guys ask if they can use DropBox instead.

https://tus.io/

Not quite the same issue, but might shoot both problems with one bullet.

Uploads can be resumed no matter what interrupted them, and guys can choose from DropBox etc.

What about adding this:

1) option to delogo videos with ffmpeg...

I asked for custom watermarks. KVS put their idea of custom watermarks into the program, not mine. I still want them.

If there was a real post-processing hook, we could both do what we wanted: I put them in, he takes them out.

No further details and explanations and reasons required. We are in competition with each other. He removes my copyright protection. I don't want him to know what my new watermarking is doing.

It's been a long time since I looked but I think there are two crucial places. One is for watermarking, the other for post-processing. The first never existed, the second is in the wrong (or very inconvenient) place.

Custom video table

Better custom fields. There are not enough of them, can't get best performance with only text data, have to do all kinds of conversion, can't index what I want the way I want.

Allow us to specify a database, table name, and foreign key field. When you load a video, join it with custom data.

Now you don't have to implement a complex custom field system. But I can have unlimited and highly customized data.

What about existing content?

Combine existing. User uploaded a series of short clips. Now they all have comments and ratings etc.

Concat with ffmpeg (specify ordering) and collapse all stats,comments,ratings etc into one entry.

We consider this as a very custom feature, not demanded for the most of customers. Therefore we don't see any sense to invest our time in it. It is better to provide some custom GUI to upload multiple video files and then concat them into a single file. Then pass this file to KVS video_edit block as a single video. This can be done without any custom changes in KVS code by creating your custom concat script and adjusting upload GUI for using it. E.g. basically replace upload step #1 with your custom upload step that allows uploading multiple files and merge them before processing to upload step #2.

We get a number of failed uploads for guys who have 2Gb files.

Guys ask if they can use DropBox instead.

https://tus.io/

Not quite the same issue, but might shoot both problems with one bullet.

Uploads can be resumed no matter what interrupted them, and guys can choose from DropBox etc.

Yes, we will be looking into upload enhancements in future updates. But they can use dropbox now if dropbox provides direct download URL. They can upload from URL in KVS as well as from local disk.

I asked for custom watermarks. KVS put their idea of custom watermarks into the program, not mine. I still want them.

If there was a real post-processing hook, we could both do what we wanted: I put them in, he takes them out.

No further details and explanations and reasons required. We are in competition with each other. He removes my copyright protection. I don't want him to know what my new watermarking is doing.

It's been a long time since I looked but I think there are two crucial places. One is for watermarking, the other for post-processing. The first never existed, the second is in the wrong (or very inconvenient) place.

I guess you can still use moving watermark, it can be configured to random position (either top of bottom) and it can't be detected by any filters. So there will be no way to automatically remove it. If you want you can program watermark image dynamically, as explained in educational series on this forum.

Custom video table

Better custom fields. There are not enough of them, can't get best performance with only text data, have to do all kinds of conversion, can't index what I want the way I want.

Allow us to specify a database, table name, and foreign key field. When you load a video, join it with custom data.

Now you don't have to implement a complex custom field system. But I can have unlimited and highly customized data.

Yes, we know that. We should start this in 4.2 or 4.3 when start migrating admin panel code to new framework.

Find a native English language writer ;)

Ha-ha :) Should be OK, many customers from all over the world are not native speakers as well.

A big set of player and advertising enhancements have been added. We hope they will allow you to increase your tube revenue. Here is a summary of all player changes.

First of all, we fixed auto-play behavior when pre-roll advertising is present. Previously auto-play never started when pre-roll was configured. After the update it will start auto-playing pre-roll advertising on all devices where possible (desktop). In Google Chrome we fixed auto-play issue, so that now pre-roll will be started in muted mode, if Chrome doesn't allow it to be auto-played with volume.

For popunder ad we also changed its behavior. Previously it was only triggered on desktop devices, where autoplay is possible, so that user do not have to click play again. After the update popunder will be triggered on all devices by default (on mobile devices it will not autoplay the video, so user will be required to click again). A new checkbox option was added to popunder settings which can be used to restore back the previous concept:

player_popunder_autoplay.png.ab50c52d986497254bb5e4bfa3e857c7.png

In player logo settings it is now possible to configure logo as plain text, not only as image. Also we added ability to configure auto-hide for logo on mouse out, so that this can be configured without player skin changes:

player_logo_settings.png.4ff5379db675930ffcbe84157e661725.png

BTW logo can be used as inline player advertising, not necessary branding:

player_logo_example.png.0d4856730a7558f68e207bac63868717.png

Another very important enhancement is designed to make use of post-roll advertising. We added support for 3rd-party VAST in post-roll and ability to configure it after pause instead of finish. When configured on after pause, post-roll will be installed after user presses pause and will be displayed when user clicks player again for resume. This will work then very close to pre-roll and should provide more impressions than at the end of video. Therefore you may need to use secondary VAST provider here to show another advertising:

player_post_roll_mode.png.ce1db5f2792601b3bf0ac678dff73036.png

For all VAST ads it will be possible to configure alternate VAST providers, so that if your primary VAST provider returns empty response, an alternate provider will be used to show advertising. Why would your VAST provider return empty response? This may happen due to many reasons. For example when the same user watches multiple videos in a row, VAST provider may decide not to show advertising anymore, if previously it has never been clicked. Or your VAST provider is not supporting advertising for the user's country. Anyway, this should not be a problem anymore and you will not lose any cent with the new KVS player - simply configure alternate VAST provider:

player_vast_settings.png.bd8aa76e025da7a3627b3eb43a799a2a.png

Another enhancement which you can see on the above image is ability to take logo text from pre-roll VAST and show it as your player logo. This is not supported by many VAST providers but may be required by others. In general a VAST provider should give you higher rates if you agree to display this on top of your player as logo, because this increases chance that user will be interested in advertiser's website.

Welcome our most important feature for the upcoming 4.0.3 update: VAST profiles. Now you won't have to stick to specific VAST provider, you will have full control on how to display VAST in KVS player. You can now create your own VAST profiles!

There are 2 common issues with existing VAST providers:

1) They pay well only for set of countries.

2) They may deny showing another ad or may show the same ad to the returning user, thus reducing your chance of revenue.

Both these issues can be solved with VAST profiles in KVS. You can configure multiple VAST providers to be used at the same advertising spot (e.g. pre-roll or post-roll), different VAST providers for different countries. Therefore you can maximize your tube revenue to new heights by simply connecting multiple VAST providers to their best paid markets.

Here is how this can be configured:

vast_profiles.thumb.png.323a34d0f217b10b55f49e15df45e602.png

In the example above, there are 2 default providers, that will be used for countries not listed for other providers. These providers will be displayed to user in the order of their weight field, e.g. provider #4 will be displayed first, and then provider #1. Also there is a specific provider which pays best for US traffic and thus you can earn more from it, than from default providers. In the same way there are multiple providers for French and Russian traffic.

Another benefit of using VAST profiles is that they are not cached, so any changes in profile settings will be immediately reflected on the site. You can try new providers and test them on-the-fly.

In player settings you can simply select VAST profile in the list of pre-roll or post-roll VAST providers. You can still use alternate VAST configuration for your last chance to show VAST ad, if for some reason your primary VAST provider from profile denies showing ad to the current user:

vast_profiles_player.png.32d67b7f66d4cf43961b8bba2d9e4051.png

• 2 weeks later...
Mass add categories, content sources, model. This is a very important option.

I Don't want to add thousands of models one by one.

This will become possible after 4.1 when we start categorization refactoring. Meanwhile we have a custom script to mass import models, please contact support.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, may I know if there is possible to upgrade flowplayer to version 7? I know you have made lots of change on it, but flowplayer 7 should have better performance and more modern.

We can't simply upgrade to 7.0 because they changed their HTML layout, so all skins will stop working. Some customers are using their own custom skins, which will stop working after the upgrade.

For now we do not see any reason why to upgrade to 7.0, our player doesn't have any performance issues and also its skin is much more modern than flowplayer 7.

We can't simply upgrade to 7.0 because they changed their HTML layout, so all skins will stop working. Some customers are using their own custom skins, which will stop working after the upgrade.

For now we do not see any reason why to upgrade to 7.0, our player doesn't have any performance issues and also its skin is much more modern than flowplayer 7.

Got it and thank you! And how about support PHP 7? Performance can be increase a lot for sure.

Got it and thank you! And how about support PHP 7? Performance can be increase a lot for sure.

We have started PHP7 transition already, it will be broken down into 2 parts (since we need many fixes in KVS code and thus many testing):

- 4.1.0: we will make all website blocks PHP7-ready

- 4.2.0: we will make all admin panel PHP7-ready

So we expect that with 4.2.0 KVS will start fully support PHP7.

• Like 1

Huge changes are coming to search queries functionality in KVS.

We optimized the way how they were managed in database and this would increase their display performance up to 10 times according to our tests with big databases. Also we added support for pseudo random sorting in the queries, so this would increase sorting performance up to another 5 times.

Besides performance improvements we also added a set of enhancements:

- When displaying similar queries for a text or category it will be possible to select similarity method (whether to use full text search or not).

- When displaying similar queries for a text or category it will be possible to force sorting by similarity level, e.g. to make similar queries more relevant.

- In admin panel it will be possible to mass import queries from a text file:

search_queries_add.thumb.png.0d75dfa84d39963b4f5506108276ee68.png

• Like 1

Albums will now support GIF and PNG files, including animated GIFs. This is something we never planned to support due to implementation difficulties, however we found a way to easily add this function while keeping file structure intact.

albums_gif_png_support.png.a942602485075f35f4271b5f3f47a8c8.png

GIF and PNG files will only be supported at album source files level. So album formats (thumbnails) that are created by KVS from source files will be always JPGs. ZIP archives with source files will also support multiple formats, so GIFs and PNGs will have the correct extensions inside ZIP archives.

Hello. My site really needs to play VR videos. Can you please add it as a feature or plugin? :)

KVS supports VR videos, all you need is to use 3rd-party VR player. We do not plan to implement support for VR videos in KVS player, since this is not demanded in the current market and we will waste our time on this. There are free VR players available in google that you can use on your site.

What we may do in 4.1.0 is detecting if the uploaded video is a VR and flag it appropriately, so that you can show VR indicator and render the needed player version. Other than that KVS supports VR videos.

BTW you can emulate the same VR flag by using VR category, on video page you can check if video has this category and render VR player for it. If you need more details on how to do that please contact support team.

Will it be possible to have all queries urls in sitemap.xml?

It is possible now, but you need to add search_results block into Sitemap page and configure it to render paginated map, similar to videos. The only issue now is performance, it will work slowly if you have many queries, but should be better with the optimization we already did in 4.1.0.

One more long-awaited feature found its way into 4.1.0: functionality to create posts from site users. We added post_edit block that provides ability for users to create / edit posts:

post_edit.thumb.png.2ee500c38f55cabd1c2e728c1bcc3e0c.png

And also support for the same review process as for videos and albums:

post_review.png.e2f56426c8ae41e985ffb244a812ea85.png

Please note that Upload zone functionality is not publicly available, this is advanced feature that can be used to filter videos and albums between public site areas and memberzone. In order for this option to become available one should enable this feature in KVS configuration, as it affects site performance.