KVS 5.4.0 development

Tech Support

We added a small feature to 5.4.0 that will allow keeping HTTP parameters in all 301 redirects generated by KVS.

At the moment KVS generates 301 redirects for content pages when object directory is modified, e.g.:

https://www.kvs-demo.com/videos/372/sadgfasdgadfhdfh/
-> 301 redirect ->
https://www.kvs-demo.com/videos/372/andrea-bocelli-christina-aguilera-somos-novios/

However if you add some parameter to the original URL, they will disappear in redirect:

https://www.kvs-demo.com/videos/372/sadgfasdgadfhdfh/?utm_source=test
-> 301 redirect ->
https://www.kvs-demo.com/videos/372/andrea-bocelli-christina-aguilera-somos-novios/

We added an option in Settings -> Site settings to allow passing these parameters into redirects as well:

301_redirect_parameters.png.19cd5193f58c2178c1ecc95ee52f9478.png

This option will be activated by default for all new installations, but will be not be activated during update, so that update doesn't break the old behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the next features we implemented in 5.4.0 is actually not much a GUI thing, but rather the new logic of running scheduled plugins. This change was wanted long time ago, and specifically it will be required for our major feature in 5.4.0 that will be announced later.

Previously KVS didn't support multi-threaded execution of scheduled plugins. There was only 1 process that run all plugins one by one. This had several disadvantages:

• If any plugin took long time (e.g. template cache cleanup plugin could run long time on huge projects), other plugins could not be executed during that time.
  • If any plugin failed (recently some grabbers were forced to process huge delete lists and didn't had enough memory for that), some other plugins could not be executed at all.

Our update will now execute each plugin in its own process. This would provide a bit more load to the system, since some plugins could be executed in parallel, however there would be no more disadvantages listed above. And load issue if occurs can be fixed by adjusting schedule for each such plugin to specific time of the day (many scheduled plugins support that).

From GUI perspective we added indicator for the cases when plugin is running right now:

plugin_schedule.thumb.png.85012c14faac8890d455df160516d0a5.png

• Like 1

In billings we did several enhancements. First of all we removed obsolete SMS billing functionality, which is not supported anymore. We also re-designed billing editor to provide more user-friendly way of adding new access packages, which was very confusing before that. Finally, we added ability to limit display of specific access packages to specific satellites, and restructured all access package visibility restrictions into a new settings group:

access_package_visibility_limits.png.86a1c8631dd0b216223bb2bd9c800819.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, Tech Support said:

1. Ability to enable preload of timeline screenshots:

Hi would it be possible to add another screenshot format for thumbs to make VTT files with sprite sheet?

You can see the example VTT files here and here for how the sprites are done.

Just like I mentioned in my original thread: Make timeline screenshots load faster - Technical Support - KVS Forum (kernel-video-sharing.com)

1 hour ago, Emilia said:

Hi would it be possible to add another screenshot format for thumbs to make VTT files with sprite sheet?

There is no need to have this file with KVS player, as it can show timelines without any additional server requests. Also when we add support for timeline sprites they will also work in similar way without any additional files.

Hello,

one really releavnt and missing aspect in KVS is possibility to delete a user mantaining all his contents or part of them assigned to deleted user or anonynmous.

All big tube sites has this feature i dont understand why if someone ask to delete himself all his content should be deleted. Many times happened that i have a user upload 100 videos, 100 stories ask to be deleted ,, and naturally i dont wanna delete all his content because for a site like main losing 200 pages in 1 second is not a joke so i retard the decision, i start to change user of his videos with mass edit option, or in case of post stories i have to do it one by one that is a massacre

We should have a feature that auto reassign post to anonymous user, but mantaining IP adress of the original uploader.

Is possible to fix this issue ? Is a big mistake because if someone uplaoded in a commuinity a lot of contents and most of them are fruct of resharing from other site and not own videos or photos and they get indexed or shared i dont understand why all of them should go away when i remove him.

so

you could add an option to let admin decide if at moment he process user deletion request he can mantrain contents like a checkbox that let admin decide what he wanna mantain for example all videos or all albums or all posts and comments.

I think this is a priority feature that you could be added next release (3.3.1 ), and i'm surprised is not still available.

Thanks

On 1/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, enricoeur said:

I think this is a priority feature that you could be added next release (3.3.1 ), and i'm surprised is not still available.

We have replied this in your support ticket, this has a workaround by using mass edit and re-assigning videos of the needed user to any other user, e.g. Anonymous user. This just requires few additional clicks.

Unfortunately adding support in admin panel GUI is not so easy and we need to re-think the whole concept of confirmation dialogs. KVS admin panel GUI doesn't have support for confirmation dialogs with checkbox options.

Several more features were added to conversion engine.

1. Ability to specify types of conversion tasks individually for each conversion server:

conversion_server_task_types.thumb.png.280904cc545562492ad61503ed3050b1.png

This provides more flexibility in prioritizing content processing and can be useful in several scenarios:

• If you have new content added by users but want your other content to have priority conversion queue, you can configure that content from users would be converted on weak conversion server and your other content would be converted on more powerful one.
  • If you are changing or creating new formats for videos (like video previews, or HLS in the future), you may want them to be converted in parallel with new videos, so you can add a separate conversion server for such tasks. Otherwise new videos will always take priority in comparison to new format creation, and if you have too many of them, your new format creation will go very slowly.
  • If you want to temporarily halt processing content from specific sources like grabbers to give priority to content from other sources, you can deactivate this type of new content from all your conversion servers and it will wait until you activate it back.

2. In basic licenses it will now be possible to delete all created timeline screenshots if you decided to deactivate them. For other license types that support multi-formats in videos, deleting timeline screenshots is possible from video formats list, but basic licenses do not have this GUI, so deleting timelines screenshots was not possible before:

video_timelines_deletion_basic.thumb.png.f844c05500d918a379dfafb1fc609367.png

3. When re-creating overview screenshots for videos via mass edit GUI, it will now be possible to specify whether you want to keep old main screenshot number. Previously re-creating overview screenshots would mean that main screenshot number would be reset to whatever is configured by default. Starting from 5.4.0 it will be possible to retain old main number (e.g. if a video had main screenshot #2, it will also keep it as #2 after re-creating new screenshots):

retain_main_screenshot_number.thumb.png.dbe1c881f9f377010667ca0d66e9cb79.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tech Support said:

1. Ability to specify types of conversion tasks individually for each conversion server:

conversion_server_task_types.thumb.png.280904cc545562492ad61503ed3050b1.png

Hi,

It's really useful feature,

but as I think more other option is missing!

Like: New Video/Album from All (admin, Grabbers, Users,, etc.).

And one more Option is "If else".

Example: I have Selected a server for "New Video/Album from Users"

If the selected is server free from users task. then send only one task to the server.

🤑

Feedback for comment:✔

How about If use similar Emoji: https://prnt.sc/y52cwa

1 hour ago, xvids said:

Like: New Video/Album from All (admin, Grabbers, Users,, etc.).

You can enable New videos from admins + New videos from grabbers + New videos from users, can't you?

1 hour ago, xvids said:

If the selected is server free from users task. then send only one task to the server.

Thanks, this is good point, but we don't think it needs any additional option. The common behavior is to use server if it has no other tasks, otherwise it would spare resources. We have fixed it to work like this: when server is busy with some tasks, only tasks of specific types can be sent to it, otherwise 1 task of any other type can also be sent.

1 hour ago, xvids said:

How about If use similar Emoji: https://prnt.sc/y52cwa

Using emoji requires changing Database encoding to UTF8MB4, this is not something that can be put into minor update.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, Tech Support said:

This is amazing! I was about to ask for conversion server groups a few days ago like we have storage so I could assign different groups for different tasks.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:12 AM, Tech Support said:

In billings we did several enhancements. First of all we removed obsolete SMS billing functionality, which is not supported anymore. We also re-designed billing editor to provide more user-friendly way of adding new access packages, which was very confusing before that. Finally, we added ability to limit display of specific access packages to specific satellites, and restructured all access package visibility restrictions into a new settings group:

access_package_visibility_limits.png.86a1c8631dd0b216223bb2bd9c800819.png

Would it be possible to take this one step forward and in access package not only can we assign the payment page url but also the signature key. I am using Verotel as my default billing method and each Verotel website has it's own signature key. The way it is set up now I need to process all transactions through the same Verotel approved website.

On 2/9/2021 at 4:53 AM, Domanso Media said:

Would it be possible to take this one step forward and in access package not only can we assign the payment page url but also the signature key. I am using Verotel as my default billing method and each Verotel website has it's own signature key. The way it is set up now I need to process all transactions through the same Verotel approved website.

Looking into it, will check if easy to do at this late stage.

Meanwhile, we also globally updated all GUIs to render content sources as selector similar to other big list selectors instead of standard HTML selectbox:

content_source_selector.png.179cd1b8d9e76dd91dc012f23cd3eea0.png

A bunch of changes added into content import, importing feeds and grabbers.

In all places we added ability to specify administrator's flag for the new content. Admin flags can be used to separate content between employee, so having ability to configure the initial admin flag that will be assigned to the imported data was missing:

content_import_admin_flag.png.14afd133d6aa68eeff780c8b0a51cbaf.png

Terminology filter was changed to support wildcard partial words and regular expressions. This also affects import, feeds and grabbers:

content_import_terminology_filter.png.70d080bf57f391aefd981af9680a3725.png

In importing feeds we added support to choose to import categories as tags. Similar option existed in grabbers, but in some cases it didn't work correctly, if grabber didn't support tags. We fixed that as well:

import_feeds_categories_as_tags.png.5dcf36401099aa2cc6e46af2783a100f.png

Also the following new features were added into grabbers:

• Support for grabbing usernames and comments. These will not be supported by any grabbers yet, but we will start adding this to grabbers later based on your inquiries. Please contact support for that. For now we only added support at KVS level.
  • Added support for option to configure whether you want grabber to import videos that have been previously deleted. The default behavior was that grabbers automatically re-import any deleted videos, but this will now be configurable:
    grabbers_reimport.png.a6c9c76eb423a31cbc0c0f441c97c035.png
  • Grabbers that support auto-delete feature will also support configuring whether you want to fully delete content VS mark it as deleted:
    grabbers_delete_mode.png.04afd357ff75d8f5e812b835d3cf2b2a.png

On 2/9/2021 at 4:53 AM, Domanso Media said:

Don't they allow changing signature key in any way? From what we currently see, it will be quite a big change for us to allow support for multiple signature keys and we can't put this right now.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, Tech Support said:

Grabbers that support auto-delete feature will also support configuring whether you want to fully delete content VS mark it as deleted:

Perfect this! since many videos are deleted or marked as private and are not deleted automatically.

• Tech Support changed the title to KVS 5.4.0 development

We decided to shift this version number to 5.4.0 (previously was 5.3.1) due to the number of new features we have put into it, and having in mind that some of these features are conceptual changes.

This doesn't invalidate any future plans, e.g. poll we did for desired features in 5.4.0 is now also reconsidered to be new features for 5.5.0.

At the moment we have fully completed 5.4.0 development and are preparing version update procedure for it, which should be available in beta mode later this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1