Assigning videos to multiple storage groups

hbarnetworks

I was wondering something similar to solve the same issue, but with a different solution.

Is it possible to designate 1 or more dedicated servers as "premium" servers to use in surge traffic? For example, if 1 video goes viral, and has thousands of people watching, this video is then assigned to a different server (in same group) that is dedicated to high viewing/viral videos, and then gets switch back to the general servers once there are less viewers?

I was wondering something similar to solve the same issue, but with a different solution.

Is it possible to designate 1 or more dedicated servers as "premium" servers to use in surge traffic? For example, if 1 video goes viral, and has thousands of people watching, this video is then assigned to a different server (in same group) that is dedicated to high viewing/viral videos, and then gets switch back to the general servers once there are less viewers?

We will think about it, it could be a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Yes thank you!

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, dj01039 said:

this video is then assigned to a different server (in same group) that is dedicated to high viewing/viral videos, and then gets switch back to the general servers once there are less viewers?

I asked KVS support a similar thing a few months ago but my question was to move videos that haven't been played in a long time (like 6 months and zero views) to a cold storage solution (a storage group with a lot of storage but not much bandwidth usage) and then the newer videos are allocated to groups with more bandwidth but I was told to do it manually every once in a while

Edited by Emilia

Right, if you go to Stats -> Videos statistics and then group by Videos, filter by Last 30 days and sort by Views ascending, you will be able to see the least popular videos from the top. You can then select the needed amount of these videos and run mass edit for them, and in mass edit GUI migrate them to storage group with cold storage server.

You can repeat this every 30 days and move least 100-1000 videos to the cold storage.

BTW: you can also set storage group filter here to filter out videos that have already been moved to cold storage.

Here is what I mean:

video_stats_least_viewed.thumb.png.7cc6307630df6a5c1e59ff20e283dc24.png