Condense Tags

Dasweb

So I have grabbed about 11,000 videos so far from various sites, with this, many, many tags have ben added. There are over 300 categories, 18,000 tags! What is the best way to condense these tags, as my tags page is getting out of control. 

One of the possible way is to make tags page paginated. In this case you will need to open Website UI -> Pages -> [Categorization] Tags Videos -> Tags List block and do the following:

• enable var_from = from block parameter
  • change items_per_page parameter to the number of tags you want to be displayed at a time
  • in Template code wrap the whole block template into the following wrapping code:
    <div id="{{$block_uid}}">

... here goes original block template code ...

{{include file="include_pagination_block_common.tpl"}}
    </div>

This will render pagination control with ability to paginate over AJAX.

Finally to have it working via page URLs you will also need to locate this rewrite in .htaccess file:

RewriteRule ^tags/$                         tags_videos.php [L,QSA]

and add the following right after it:

RewriteRule ^tags/([0-9]+)/$                tags_videos.php?from=$1 [L,QSA]

Then you should be able to access paginated pages via these URLs:

http://domain.com/tags/2/, http://domain.com/tags/3/ and etc.

• 11 months later...

What is the best seo practice for similar tags with hyphen to avoid duplicate content problem for instance

azz-parade & azzparade listing same no. of videos on 2 different URLS /azzparade & /azz-parade

upon defining azzparade in synonm azz-parade it popups following warning message, I am not sure what to do

• [Synonyms]: synonym "azzparade" duplicates the existing tag with ID 202

1 hour ago, Nina said:

What is the best seo practice for similar tags with hyphen to avoid duplicate content problem for instance

azz-parade & azzparade listing same no. of videos on 2 different URLS /azzparade & /azz-parade

upon defining azzparade in synonm azz-parade it popups following warning message, I am not sure what to do

• [Synonyms]: synonym "azzparade" duplicates the existing tag with ID 202

Synonyms are the correct way.

Please go to Settings -> Content settings and make sure that attach old tags as synonyms option is enabled.

Then open azzparade tag in the tags list and rename it into azz-parade. What should happen is these 2 tags will be merged into a single tag azz-parade (and all content that referred azzparade tag before will start referring the new azz-parade tag), plus azzparade should be added as a synonyms to azz-parade (please double check that). Then any new case when azzparade tag will be tried to be used, it will be auto-changed to azz-parade.

KVS is still missing ability to show 301 redirects for synonyms to the original tag URL, but I think we will add this in future.

• Like 1