Edge Servers?

Hi KVS,

I was wondering if once HLS is implemented is there also a way to get Edge servers working? I know content servers are easy. But its alot cheaper if I could just grab a 10GB/s server with 1TB nvme and cache HLS parts instead of having another 20TB of storage attached each group.

Let me know

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2024 at 1:22 AM, Tech Support said:

Sorry, we can't comment on this for now, as we don't yet have the solution how to protect HLS files from unauthorized access. This is a requirement for KVS, so we should first find a way to protect HLS files.

Is simple DRM encryption that kaltura/nginx-vod-module uses with a simple key not an option? Or are you talking about direct urls? Because right now there is no protection either. Jdownloader as an example can scrape any KVS website with just a simple copy paste of the home page.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, hbarnetworks said:

Jdownloader as an example can scrape any KVS website with just a simple copy paste of the home page.

We are talking not about public videos. You can scrape everything including Youtube and others, there is no protection from that.

We need to have ability to protect videos from unauthorized access, e.g. when there is paysite and videos should be only accessed by those who purchased access.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:15 AM, hbarnetworks said:

Is simple DRM encryption that kaltura/nginx-vod-module uses with a simple key not an option? Or are you talking about direct urls? Because right now there is no protection either. Jdownloader as an example can scrape any KVS website with just a simple copy paste of the home page.

I've never heard of the nginx-vod-module—interesting!
As for your question, have you looked into Apache Traffic Server? It operates exactly the way you want, but I haven't configured it with HLS because KVS doesn't support HLS yet.