Any friends who use nginx?

kong

I would like to inquire about an issue with Nginx server. I have configured multilingual URLs in the background, where accessing www.domain.com automatically redirects to www.domain.com/de, but it shows a '404 NOT FOUND' error. How can I solve this? When I raised a support ticket, the administrator replied that they only handle .htaccess files, and they do not configure Nginx. Could any kind-hearted technical experts please help me? Thank you.

To add to this question, these are the .htaccess mod_rewrite rules that do the magic for allowing subfolders being used:

RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_REWRITTEN} !=1
RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_REDIRECT_REWRITTEN} !=1
RewriteRule ^([a-z]{2})/(.*) /$2 [L,QSA,E=REWRITTEN:1,E=LOCALE:$1]

They translate https://domain.com/de/someurl/ into https://domain.com/someurl/ and add ENV variable REDIRECT_LOCALE = de

After struggling for half a month, I still couldn't resolve it. Even asking CHATGPT for help with writing code didn't work. There was no other choice but to switch to .htaccess, uninstall Nginx, install Apache. Now the website can be accessed normally. I really don't know why I've been tinkering with it for so long...

You don't need to uninstall Nginx, Nginx should be normally used as a proxy on top of Apache for static files (JPG, JS, CSS and video files).

Also you can use subdomains for localized versions instead of subfolders. This doesn't require any .htaccess specific rules.