discussion and review about Software Raid 1 OR 0

naughtyking

Hi , i buy new  dedicated server , i choose ubuntu and Raid 1 because my old server in other server provider company setup my old server to my old website like this ( i was not have videos on my server i just embed videos) . 
but now my new website and server will be diffrent , my site will be diffrent and i didn't know what is raid 0 or 1 and os diffrent.
my new server will host videos too.

i just befor short of time i know what diffrent between RAID 1 AND RAID 0 
i don't want that my server be heavy or slow .
Raid 1 i know that if i have 2 SATA DRIVES  , one of the two drives will used for backup .
and its not good because my server and drive will have 20TB of videos.
i want to backup the website database like user data, videos database and setting and all database.
but don't want to backup videos. ( because i have the videos backed up on backup company)

should I reinstall to Raid 0 ? i think it better for me?!

If you have a backup of all your data, go Raid 0. Even if 1 drive fails in Raid 1 it will take months to recreate the RAID and the performance of your server will be so bad you might as well reinstall.

PS
raid is never a backup solution. YOUR WEBSITE NEEDS A BACKUP SOLUTION!

Edited by hbarnetworks
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Raid 0 is the worst choice, because if one of the disks is faulty, the entire array is lost. (min 2 disk)

Raid 1 is better in that it mirrors the contents of hdd A to hdd B. (min 2 disk)

The best choice is to use raid 10, because there the security is better and the speed is excellent.  (min 4 disk)

You should know that raid does not protect against data loss, always have a backup.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, elpadre said:

Hi,

Raid 0 is the worst choice, because if one of the disks is faulty, the entire array is lost. (min 2 disk)

Raid 1 is better in that it mirrors the contents of hdd A to hdd B. (min 2 disk)

The best choice is to use raid 10, because there the security is better and the speed is excellent.  (min 4 disk)

You should know that raid does not protect against data loss, always have a backup.

i have backup of my videos on my google drive , and about the databse , KVS script can backup the database

raid 0 will only have good speed if there are many hdds in an array. If there are only 2 sata in raid0, it cannot handle much load. If ssd or nvme then ok.

Kvs backup can only be trusted if it was not saved to the raid0 array, since everything will be lost if the array crashes.

In the case of several 20TB+ data losses, it will not take much time to restore the movies, but the many small screen images etc...

We use many big tube kvs sites, on our own local servers in my country, believe me raid 0 is not a good solution in the long term. 2 sata hdd in raid0 cannot serve many users at the same time. For us, the backup is more important than the main server, it takes years of work, it's not a hobby but a business.

But if you're starting now, good luck. I just shared the pitfalls...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 7:26 PM, elpadre said:

raid 0 will only have good speed if there are many hdds in an array. If there are only 2 sata in raid0, it cannot handle much load. If ssd or nvme then ok.

Kvs backup can only be trusted if it was not saved to the raid0 array, since everything will be lost if the array crashes.

In the case of several 20TB+ data losses, it will not take much time to restore the movies, but the many small screen images etc...

We use many big tube kvs sites, on our own local servers in my country, believe me raid 0 is not a good solution in the long term. 2 sata hdd in raid0 cannot serve many users at the same time. For us, the backup is more important than the main server, it takes years of work, it's not a hobby but a business.

But if you're starting now, good luck. I just shared the pitfalls...

yes i know now that raid 0 is best for kvs theme and for me, raid 1 is a two drives , second drive is just backup , and its not neccasry if you have 20tb , you cant backup the videos on google drive or onedrive , and about the theme backup and videos data , kvs system can backup your website with project backup plugin in admin panel

• 1 year later...