Hosting setup - I need advice

HakaVelli

Hello guys.

So i have a tubesite that i started a year ago, and it have grown very fast so i need to upgrade the servers.
Right now im running the website on VPS, and the videos are all embedded. Now i want to start hosting the videos on my website and i would like to get feedback of the configuration i thought off.

Stats about the site as of today is about 200k visitors daily,  and at any given time of the day, there are about 100-200 users.

For the main site, i am thinking about this server:

Intel® Xeon / E3-1241 v3
32 GB RAM
4 TB Disk
50TB Bandwidth

For the storage, i will buy a server from OVH (i haven't made up my mind which to use yet)
and for the conversion, i will buy 5 or so small VPS.

Any thought of this settings? Am i on the right track, or completely off?😅

Hi

I recommend this configuration for a popular site. It also depends a lot on your budget.
Main server:
- cpu - as many cores as possible because many tasks are executed and you will see the difference.
- hdd - ssd or NVMe is recommended
- ram - as much as possible, I would recommend 128GB + another 128Gb Swap
- storage space - 1Tb for logs, stats, img and others
-Lan - minimum 500Mbps FD

https://www.scaleway.com/en/dedibox/pro/pro-7-s/  

https://www.leaseweb.com/dedicated-servers/high-performance-server#NL

It's just a suggestion. The ones from online.net also offer you a private chain that allows you to use it to communicate the servers with each other, without taking / consuming from the public bandwidth.

Server conversion
Here you can use servers or vps (see link below where this is discussed). It depends on the number of videos uploaded per day.
Configuration:
- cpu - as many cores as possible to make the conversion faster
- ram - minimum 32Gb ram for server
- storage space - It depends on the maximum size that you accept when uploading to the site.

Here you can get cheaper if you only accept mp4 to upload. This saves a lot of resources and makes conversion much faster.
The problem with this is that you can't put the logo on the video, of course if that's something important to you.

If you only choose mp4 then any 3 euro vps (3-5 vps) plus the conversion on the main server will work very well and fast.

Storage:
As much space as possible and it doesn't matter if it's ssd or not.
What is very important is the speed of the LAN. I recommend at least 500mbps FD per server.

Here you can add a server for the first 3 locations where you have the most traffic.

Because the platform allows you to add servers per country, this can help you a lot.

Always look for offers that offer unmetered bandwidth traffic because otherwise you will get a pretty big bill.

48Tb Storage

https://us.ovhcloud.com/order/dedicated/?v=2#/dedicated/configure?selection=~(datacenters~(~(id~'vin~quantity~1~availability~'1_h_high))~planCode~'22bf04-us~duration~'P1M~pricingMode~'default~memory~'ram-16g-bf4-us~storage~'softraid-6x8000sa-bf4-us)

I now use eqservers servers. You can contact them and tell them what you need. they will offer you good solutions and even considerable discounts.

https://www.eqservers.com/streaming.php 

I hope this information helps you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

any one knows how to configure RAID, on the OVH server: 6×12 TB HDD SATA

because they allow to Install RAID1 on 2 disk, and then you have to install RAID10 on remain 4 disk.

I want to combine all disk in one folder,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xvids said:

Hello,

because they allow to Install RAID1 on 2 disk, and then you have to install RAID10 on remain 4 disk.

Hello

On OVH you need to create a template for different raid systems from their basic install template.

Edited by phseven
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, xvids said:

Hello,

If you want them all in one folder you gotta use raid 0. Its not recommended though.

See here: Configuring MegaRAID for RAID Level 0 | OVH Guides

• Like 1

Yo use all 72Tb on / you need raid 0.

I had the same problem and my provider made these settings for me. Below I leave you the commands used by them so that the space on all 6 HDDs is in the same place /

When I used OVH (a long time ago) I know that it allowed you to do custom partitioning during system installation.

1  lsblk
    2  reboot
    3  lsblk
    4  fdisk /dev/sdb
    5  lsblk
    6  fdisk /dev/sdb
    7  fdisk l
    8  fdisk -l
    9  fdisk /dev/sdb
   10  lsblk
   11  mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1
   12  mkdir /ssd
   13  mount /dev/sdb1 /ssd
   14  vi /etc/fstab
   15  reboot
   16  lsblk

I hope this info helps you.
If you do not know how to do it and not to damage anything, I recommend hiring someone to do it for you.

If you damage something it is possible to charge you a nice amount.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 3:00 PM, AlexHardy32 said:

Hi

I recommend this configuration for a popular site. It also depends a lot on your budget.
Main server:
- cpu - as many cores as possible because many tasks are executed and you will see the difference.
- hdd - ssd or NVMe is recommended
- ram - as much as possible, I would recommend 128GB + another 128Gb Swap
- storage space - 1Tb for logs, stats, img and others
-Lan - minimum 500Mbps FD

https://www.scaleway.com/en/dedibox/pro/pro-7-s/  

https://www.leaseweb.com/dedicated-servers/high-performance-server#NL

It's just a suggestion. The ones from online.net also offer you a private chain that allows you to use it to communicate the servers with each other, without taking / consuming from the public bandwidth.

Server conversion
Here you can use servers or vps (see link below where this is discussed). It depends on the number of videos uploaded per day.
Configuration:
- cpu - as many cores as possible to make the conversion faster
- ram - minimum 32Gb ram for server
- storage space - It depends on the maximum size that you accept when uploading to the site.

Here you can get cheaper if you only accept mp4 to upload. This saves a lot of resources and makes conversion much faster.
The problem with this is that you can't put the logo on the video, of course if that's something important to you.

If you only choose mp4 then any 3 euro vps (3-5 vps) plus the conversion on the main server will work very well and fast.

Storage:
As much space as possible and it doesn't matter if it's ssd or not.
What is very important is the speed of the LAN. I recommend at least 500mbps FD per server.

Here you can add a server for the first 3 locations where you have the most traffic.

Because the platform allows you to add servers per country, this can help you a lot.

Always look for offers that offer unmetered bandwidth traffic because otherwise you will get a pretty big bill.

48Tb Storage

https://us.ovhcloud.com/order/dedicated/?v=2#/dedicated/configure?selection=~(datacenters~(~(id~'vin~quantity~1~availability~'1_h_high))~planCode~'22bf04-us~duration~'P1M~pricingMode~'default~memory~'ram-16g-bf4-us~storage~'softraid-6x8000sa-bf4-us)

I now use eqservers servers. You can contact them and tell them what you need. they will offer you good solutions and even considerable discounts.

https://www.eqservers.com/streaming.php 

I hope this information helps you.

Thank you so much for the detailed help.

I bought the first server, and going to follow your advise and buy some cheap vps next month for the conversion.